Saturday, September 26, 2009

Be Here Now

There is always, it seems, a balance to be mindfully walked. Balance between action and patience, balance between faith and action, balance between surrender and preparing. They are all related, and all a part of my life lately. The tough part is deciding how much of each to put into the mix for the right amount. I think the right amount is achieved when one feels at peace, knowing that one has done what is necessary and then is able to surrender the outcome to the Powers That Be, the Universe, God, Spirit, Source, whatever one chooses to name the Divine power in his or her life.

Finding that balance can feel like walking a tightrope. I truly think that the feeling of being at peace is the answer to whether one has accomplished it. I struggle often to get to that, as I think many do. But it's worth it, because life is much easier in those moments when one has that sense of being centered, calm through the stress, not affected by the anxiety that could be crushing.

In my life lately, there is the direct challenge of putting this into practice. My husband is going to be on his way to Virginia at the end of next week for a final job interview in person at a hospital. This is a great opportunity for him, and it means a huge change for our family should he accept an offer from them. I support him being in a great job, wherever it takes us. There are many things that we would need to do in order to make it happen, and we could get swallowed by the to do list and freak out. I have decided not to do that. We are waiting until he has an offer, and then will sit and calmly make that long, long list, and get started one thing at a time until we are there.

And also, if he doesn't get this job for some reason, another will certainly work out for him. He has other interviews lined up, and many applications in, and things are beginning to happen from those. The unknown factors and ongoing money issues are enough to cause hyperventilation, but deciding not to go there, to instead live in THIS MOMENT NOW, have been the answer to enjoying life so much more.

Living in the now - this moment - not in "what if" or "but it might not" or "what are we gonna do" land - is the key to being open for the opportunities to present themselves. It is the way to deal with everything while avoiding anxiety, and staying balanced. Breathing, and being aware of the spaces between the breaths, helps me remember that I'm here, now, and not in my head worrying about everything. I don't have control over whether this job offer will come. I only have control over what I'm doing right now, this moment.

It doesn't mean being inactive or giving up. It means doing what you can, one thing at a time, and not worrying over what's next, down the road, what might happen, what might not happen, or over-planning. I have consciously chosen to live in the present, and it does take effort, but little by little I'm doing it. The benefits are tangible. I used to be very anxious, a worrier. Now I'm moving out of that mindset and feeling more able to enjoy things.

I'm enjoying playing with my kids, talking with my husband, and getting my work done. I'm sure more benefits will realize themselves as I bring presence more and more into being.

Try it with me. Several times a day, stop and focus on 10 breaths. Just be tuned in to your breathing, and count each one if you want. Observe how it makes you feel when you return to what you are doing. It's basically a mini-meditation that you can do several times a day, which brings you to the present moment, and calms the mental chatter. While you're breathing, try to take full breaths - from deep down in your abdomen. Many of us breathe shallowly throughout the day. A full breath is cleansing, and increases circulation and oxygen flow to the brain. It's good for us.

I know that there are big changes ahead for my family, and I'm ready. I've put out there that I want the best thing for our family to happen, the best opportunity for Evan to be his. Now I'm allowing the Universe to make it happen, and doing those things which I can do now, one at a time.

Reiki helps me also with this. When I am sending a healing, attunement, or doing self healing, I am only focused on the energy flowing, and it brings me to the present. It is centering and balancing, and feels wonderful. I think that everyone should have Reiki in their life as a tool for self-awareness, healing, and helping others. Everyone is capable of learning to connect with Reiki, and I am blessed to have the ability to teach people of all ages how to access Reiki energy. It is easy to learn and instantly available. If you'd like to know more, please click here to go to my website.

As for the next developments, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Peace.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful when a caregiver actually takes time to care for herself! There are many lessons in this article for all of us! Thank you for sharing!

Alice Langholt said...

Fred,

Thank you for commenting on my post! I am always hoping that my blog entries are useful and it's great to hear from those who read them. Thank you for expressing appreciation and for being here!
Much love,
Alice

Frank Dickinson said...

"Breathing, and being aware of the spaces between the breaths, helps me remember that I'm here, now, and not in my head worrying about everything."

I KNEW it all along - Alice, my friend, you are a good Buddhist!

That space between the breaths is where peace resides.

And, yes, peace is the determining factor.

I love reading your stuff. I always learn (or re-learn) many things.

Blessings,
Frank

Alice Langholt said...

Frank,

You may be right - I could be a Ju-Bu! I'm sure I have some tendencies in that direction anyhow!

I love your comments on my blog entries - they always ooze appreciation and validation. Thank you so much, Frank! You're a blessing.

Alice

Beth said...

It is a challenge living in the now sometimes, thanks for sharing how you're dealing with it! You are SO right about Reiki being for everybody, and easy to learn and put into practice. Best of luck in enjoying your present and your future as it comes to you!

Unknown said...

Hi Alice,

You're right "Reiki is for everyone!" Even my 7 year old grand daughter is a Reiki Master and sat through all the classes to become one. She is really serious about helping herself and friends with the Reiki healing energy! I'll come back often to read your wonderful site. Thanks!

Here is my site: Reiki Ranch, Reiki Energy Healing, Reiki Certification

Deb said...

I have that same "You Are Here" postcard and kept it on the wall for years so I could keep things in perspective. Love your blog and website. Good luck with your transitions.

Alice Langholt said...

Prosperity Coach,

I am a big advocate for teaching Reiki to kids, and know how valuable it is for them. Wonderful about your granddaughter. My kids love Reiki and we are certainly a Reiki family.

Deb,

Thank you for being here. We are here! Glad you came by to comment on my blog and I will keep you posted on the changes ahead.

Love to all.
Alice

Alice Langholt said...

Beth,

I didn't mean to leave you out. Thank you for your lovely comment, and it's always great to hear from you and know you are with me, feeling the journey as it continues.

Much love,
Alice