Monday, May 11, 2009

Plop!

When I was 12 years old, I won a 10 speed bike from McDonald's. Really, I did! I had only entered a drawing, as did many others, by putting a little card into a box in the restaurant. That bike was way oversized for me (I'm not a tall person to say the least, and it took me months to be able to ride that boy's 10 speed with the bar straight across from the seat to the handlebars. I did it though!) The day after I got the call that I had won the bike, I got a letter from Burger King saying I was the 2nd runner up in their "win a bicycle contest" and there were too free Whopper cards in the envelope. Now if you're thinking I spent too much time in fast food restaurants back then I understand, but actually I really didn't. So what happened that week? I had never won anything before so I was completely surprised. I remember the two events had one thing in common at the time I had entered the drawings. After writing my name and contact info on the entry cards, I had written in cursive "please" on the other side of the card.

I'm not saying that's a prescription for the magic that helps you win contests. Though it wouldn't hurt to try. I have been thinking about the surprise of winning that bike lately though. Here's why:

Over the last few years, I have done some work writing content for board games for various companies. It's fun and creative work. I do this on a freelance basis, and have been involved in creating content and rules for a number of games which now can be found in many book and toy stores across the country. It's been quite a while since I've had any big game content projects. I haven't been seeking them out as I've been busy with other things. Suddenly at the end of last week I received an email asking if I'd be available to write content for a new game. This was great, and excellent timing besides. I accepted of course, and am working on it now. Why am I blogging about this? Because the day after I was offered the chance to start this project, a different game company I have worked for also emailed me about an opportunity coming up to do some work with them. Two new unsolicited freelance game content jobs within 24 hours! The timing couldn't be more perfect, as you know.

This week has also blessed me with new Reiki students and people interested in attunements and healing. Every person I am fortunate enough to share energy with makes me feel incredibly grateful and in awe of the way Reiki helps improve people's lives in so many ways.

I've decided to call the opportunities that seem to drop in unexpectedly "Plop!" (As in, Plop! Oh my! The Universe has dropped this gift onto my lap!) It's a way of recognizing and appreciating these surprise prospects as they come forth. I think that acknowledging them when they happen, and expressing a little thanks and wonder helps send some positive vibes for the next one. It's not a new idea - it's one of those LOA concepts - express gratitude and the Universe will bring you more. Sure happened with the bike, the new opportunities I mentioned, and more and more lately I'm seeing and appreciating the small things too.

By small things, I don't mean inconsequential. I mean the unexpected compliments that come from people whether family, friends or those who have appreciated something I've written or said. Sometimes it comes as a comment on my blog, Facebook page, a Twitter reply, or an email. Or the unexpected opportunity to talk about Reiki with someone I hadn't spoken with before. Each time, I feel really appreciative and glowing. And there are many more little moments like this, the more I reflect and take notice. I realize that everything makes a difference.

I heard it said once that you can live your life as if nothing matters, or as if everything matters. With the idea that every interaction could be part of the chain of events leading to great opportunities, whether for making someone feel happy or finding that next perfect career position (for my husband!), I am choosing to live as if everything matters. Every spark of positive energy, every "thank you," compliment, or offer of assistance - everything makes a difference. It's not in the results, it's in the process. My dear friend Fred helped me connect this lately in his recent blog post.

"Plop!" moments have helped reinforce this concept for me and help me take it to heart.

Peace.

7 comments:

Dave said...

All I could think when I read your post was rain... when I think of "plop" I think of the sound rain makes in a puddle... and I think you, my wonderful friend, are getting ready for a rainstorm of plops! And it couldn't be coming for a better person in the world. Wonderful thoughts in a wonderful post.

Many Blessings!

Fred said...

It is amazing what can happen when you just open yourself up to receiving life's little joys! Lovely post!

Alice Langholt said...

Dave & Fred,

Thank you so much for your encouraging and supportive comments! It is nice to notice good things happening, small and large, and be a part of the rainstorm. :)

Love and light,
Alice

Anonymous said...

I am sure you invite certain energy when you ask the cosmos with an innocent "please." It's almost like sealing. Everything comes down to energy, and you figured that out intuitively at an early age. Why am I not surprised.
Namaste

Ming said...

Hey Alice, Just thought I'd pop in and see what you have written lately. Loved the plop. Talking about manifesting eh? Totally awesome. And being grateful and thankful for the gifts we have. Amen to that sister.

thehatinthecat said...

That's great on having new students. I need to start teaching, I got my Master level right before I moved and never got around to teaching in my new area. I guess there was some fear behind it, moving from an area where I was know to a more conserviatve area. Time to get over that.

Lisa said...

Fate tends to show it's face like an old intuitive friend - always coming around when needed!

Congratulations on your two unexpected but timely jobs!