Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Wondering How Much is Real

I've been reading The Reiki Touch by William Lee Rand. It's been very interesting and informative for the most part. I know he's a well respected expert on the subject of Reiki.

And yet, I am the kind of person who finds it easier to believe in things that I personally experience. Reiki has been wonderful for me in that it's tangible, and consistent, and I've been able to experience real results from both sending and receiving Reiki.

There are some things in Rand's book that are hard for me to accept - probably because I haven't experienced them, and also because they seem imaginative. Granted, the idea of Reiki seemed unreal when I first heard of it too, and I've since become not only convinced 100% of Reiki's reality, but I've brought Reiki to others who had never experienced it.

So I'm asking anyone out there to help me with some of the concepts Rand writes on that are (still) or at least so far, way out there for me. Maybe I'm just not ready to experience these. Maybe I never will. But right now, these subjects are sitting over in the "too strange to believe" section of my brain. (I think the idea of using Reiki to charge a cell phone might be there too, but for that one I'm going to suspend my disbelief and keep trying!)

  • Enlightened (and unenlightened) spirit guides/angels that give advice when asked.
  • Healing power of World Peace Crystal Grids
  • Using Reiki to release spirits that are possessing a person or place

I know there are many people who practice Reiki, in various forms, levels, and with a wide range of spiritual beliefs. I've been reading lots of Reiki websites, from blogs to message boards.

I am a "down to earth person" - and I feel pretty different from a lot of the people whose writings I've read lately. I need some perspective from someone who also considers him or herself to be "down to earth," "a realist," or going about life with a fair dose of healthy skepticism. If you are out there, please respond. If this isn't you, that's okay - no disrespect intended. But today I'm looking for a little perspective from someone like me.

So thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read and taught from Rand's book, but do not include the points of your interest in my class.

Mostly, because they are not necessary to do Reiki, as you have already experienced for yourself.

If the student wishes to read about this, then by all means, they can do as they are guided.

The use of guides, in my opinion, may deter a student from reaching deeper within themselves to unravel the infinite possibilities there.

I've seen practitioners become dependent on such "advice" and also recipients unwilling to make a move without such help. This is a type of dependency that I wonder is healthy.

Using a guide, may seem really "cool" but unless the guide is used as a teacher to help one find their own abilities, to me does little for one’s own growth...real growth. It only enhances ones skill at communication of those in another realm.

I also have a neat testimonial on this thought.

I am a Christian. When I felt called, I would ask Jesus to be with me as I worked. Of course, He would accommodate. I felt the energy greatly intensify as I focused on his helping me. But then the thought occurred to me that it is I who am called to be "Christ-like", so I worked harder on finding the "Christ" within myself.

Does it mean I don’t still rely on Jesus for help? No…it means I see him as Teacher…to help me be all that I can be.

Guess what?...

The results were just as intense.

Much harder work, but more fulfilling in the long run.

afa the grids, I am clueless

And for extractions, I won't go there.

Hope this helps...

Alice Langholt said...

Thank you kindly for your time in writing this detailed and thoughtful comment!

In a more recent post, I wrote about sending Reiki to myself in the future, to invite (me) to be my more experienced guide. Funky, I think. Maybe if I guide myself from a place of more experience, that would be the best advice I could get!

I have read in other places, and understand your comments on the dangers of relying too heavily on guides.

I really am glad that people of different faiths can tap into the life energy of Reiki and use it to help others, themselves, and the world, with or without the use of their particular religion's prophets in the way that works best for them.

Thank you so much for writing! Please come back again.